Requirements for obtaining a fiancé visa in Missouri

If you want to live with your loved one in Missouri, getting a fiancé visa is the first step in the two-step process. Let’s look at the requirements and process of obtaining a K-1 visa.

Requirements for obtaining a fiancé visa in Missouri

  1. You and your fiancé must be legally able to marry in the United States. This means that you must both be single, divorced, or widowed (if applicable). If you have been married before, you will need to provide proof of divorce or the death of your previous spouse.
  2. You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal resident for your partner to obtain a fiancé visa. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will want proof of this. You can provide a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or green card.
  3. You should provide proof that you’ve met multiple times within the last two years. While there is no set number of times that you must have met, it is generally recommended that you have seen each other at least twice. You can provide evidence of this by sharing photos, travel itineraries, or even social media posts.

The application process for a fiancé visa in Missouri

Step 1. File a petition with the USCIS to start the application process. The U.S. citizen fiancé will file this petition, and it must include proof of their relationship and evidence that both parties are legally able to marry.

The USCIS will forward your petition to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will then send instructions on how to get a fiancé visa for your foreign partner.

Step 2. Your foreign partner will then apply for a family immigration visa with all the required documents. These documents include proof of relationship, financial stability, and medical examination results.

Step 3. The U.S. embassy or consulate will schedule an interview with your fiancé. You may not be required to attend this interview unless under special circumstances when your relationship is in question. If they pass this interview, they will get their visa.

As mentioned earlier, getting a fiancé is just the first step. Your fiancé will need to move to Missouri within 90 days to marry you. Then, you must stay together for at least two years for them to get a permanent residence.

Categories: Family Law